How do I set up the boat wiring for both my bow light and my stern light for my older aluminum boat? What type switch do I use? Two point or three point? The boat is a 19 foot Smokercraft.
Would it be possible for you to send a picture, diagram or schematic along with the information to help me through this?
I am no dummy, it’s just I am not the best electrician when it comes to boat wiring.
Please keep it simple.
Thank you in advance for any help or advice you can give me.
The best type of switch to use for a navigation anchor light, or nav/anc, is a dual pole/dual throw style switch. This is usually a six point (seven if the switch has a light integrated into it).
- Looking at the switch from the back, there are basically two, three point switches next to each other.
- Supply 12v power to both center points.
- Connect your bow light to the lower left point.
- Connect your stern light to the lower right.
- Connect a jumper wire from the lower right point to the upper right point.
- If you switch has an indicator light, connect a ground to the additional tab.
I hope that this is helpful. Please let me know if you have any other questions.